History

Bessborough Gardens was named after Lord Granville who was married to The Countess of Bessborough's niece in the early nineteenth century. The acreage was largely marsh land split by the River Tyburn which was little more than an open sewer leading to the River Thames. The area's development had inauspicious beginnings: In the 1820's there was a depressed housing market, but an astute developer, by the name of Thomas Cubitt was enjoying a huge success bucking the trend and selling high worth houses like hotcakes to the aristocracy in Belgravia. He gradually acquired parcels of land in Pimlico from the Grosvenor family and also a major section of Bessborough Gardens from a bankrupt developer, Thomas Hamlet. In the 1840's the Thomas Cubitt development began. Within a century the head lease of this land had reverted back by the Crown Estate. Most of the buildings were suffering from the damage of the Big Flood in 1928 and the Second World War and were in a derelict state, although they were still required for residential use because of the acute post war housing shortage.

In the mid 1980's, in conjunction with Wimpy Homes the Crown Estate embarked on redevelopment of the land with a three phase development. Phase one being the build of some 140 flats which we now know as Bessborough Gardens. The two projects of Lindsay Square and Balvaird Place followed.